Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Why would I want a video phone?

I was watching Steve Jobs introduce the latest impressive toy from Cupertino, and had a thought.

Maybe you are blessed to have attractive friends and coworkers who you want to look at all the time.  I am not.  Can someone explain to me the last 50 years of yammering about "video calling"?  I don't want to SEE you, I merely wish to speak with you.  Facebook, Twitter, Text messages and e-mail have taken all of the normal interaction out of communicating anyway, so what's the big deal?

If I talk to you on a regular basis, I probably already know what you look like.

And, do you really want to call me in the evening to have me activate the camera so you can enjoy a compelling image of me shirtless, in my boxers?  I think not.  And I don't want to see the same from you.  So please, if you Skype me, leave the damm camera off.  And I promise to do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment