Tuesday, July 26, 2011

What the fuck has happened to the world?

As I sit here pondering my future, I am appalled by the fact that everywhere I go these days, the people I interact with seem to think of their jobs as an inconvenient interruption of their personal lives.

Think I am just being a Cranky Geek?

Try to get the kid at the local 7-11 off his cell phone long enough to get you some beer out of the back, since he was "too busy" to restock the cooler.

Ask the cute girl at Carl's Jr. who barely speaks English for some BBQ sauce on your way out the door, and listen to her loud, exasperated sigh as she reaches four inches away from her to get a couple of em for you.

Listen carefully to the people around you - most pointedly the under-30 crowd that seems to think once they are out of high school, they deserve some 100K management position with 25+ weeks of vacation.  I deal with this every day - both personally and professionally.  "This really sucks I have to get up at the crack of 9AM and go do something productive", is a familiar refrain.

When did we become so lazy?

While I was blessed for many years to be doing a job that I love, instead of the current job I loathe, I still recognize that as much as I hate it, this daily grind still puts a roof over my head, and food in my belly.  I don't like it any more than the rest of the cubicle captives around the world.  But I try not to complain too loudly about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment