Friday, September 24, 2010

Off the grid...

So I have been off the grid for the last few days, as the complexities of my real life collide with my virtual self.

While I have been off the grid, I discovered something wonderful.  There is a building in my town, that is full of these bound paper things called.. books!  They also have all sort of magazines, newspapers, and for those that cannot stand to be too far from the net, computers.  I spent an entire day leafing through these treasures, which is an experience no iPad or netbook can give.

I spent the better part of that day reading a fascinating book called Partners in Command.  It examines the relationship between General of The Army George Marshall, who, as Chief of Staff of The Army, had the immense responsibility to assemble the leaders who would command younger men in battle.  And his protege', General of The Army Dwight Eisenhower, who did some other things besides saving the world, during the years leading up to, and through, World War II.

I will leave the review for others, but I liked it.

Imagine that?  A building in lots of towns all over the world, where for the most part you can read anything you want, for FREE.  Shocking, I know.  So get off your asses, and into a Library.


  • Read a book (remember?)
  • Flirt with the cute librarian behind the reference desk (yup, they are out there)
  • Hold in your hands, and feel the satisfaction that comes from reading a newspaper.


--- (later in the day)


My real point is, I need to do this every day,  I need to comment about all the crap that flows thru my head without having to try to truncate it to 160 twitter characters, or a Facebook comment.  The discipline is there, and I think the effort will be too.  It might not be interesting at all...

No comments:

Post a Comment