Sunday, September 19, 2010

Sunday on Restaurant Row

Today's gem is from the days when I had a job I actually liked, and I had a little human contact every day.

Because of my heritage, I am snotty when it comes to Italian Restaurants, and what passes as Italian food.  There is a gem in Palm Desert, given to my by one of my clients there, called La Bella Cucina Trattoria.  It's small, tucked into a shopping center between an Office Depot and a Target, with perhaps 12 tables inside, plus some outdoor seating (which much be fabulous in 118 degree heat), but the vibe is clearly grandma's house, and not some hip, exciting, phony "bright and loud" atmosphere.

If Olive Garden is the Taco Bell of Italian fare, than La Bella Cucina is a world away,  Excellent sauces, and any place that brings hot bread with olive oil for dipping has it right.  Try the Clam and Mussels combo for a delight from the sea.  At lunch, the Italian Sub is a gift from heaven, made the way I remember getting them from the Italian deli's that used to dot the Southern California landscape.

Prices are neither high or low, but about what you would expect for this kind of food.  Service is excellent, and this is one of the few places I can regularly find Torone Ferrara nougat candies to take to my father.  It's a drive, but worth it.

Click here for their web site

Marco's Rating - 7 (would be higher if they had more seating)

No comments:

Post a Comment